Director of Development and Communications
Care for Real is a nonprofit organization committed to alleviating the impact of food insecurity in Edgewater and Rogers Park. This year marks our fiftieth anniversary of serving as the safety net for this community, and at this pivotal moment, we seek a Director of Development and Communications who will help us secure the financial resources we need to try new things and serve our community in new and better ways.
The Director of Development and Communications (DDC) is responsible for the creation, implementation, evaluation and successful ongoing management of Care for Real’s fundraising and communication strategies. This position works closely with the Executive Director (ED), senior management team and the Board Fundraising Committee to develop and manage strategies for identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of existing as well as prospective individual, foundation, and corporate donors. The DDC will have an instrumental role in launching Care for Real’s new strategic plan, partnering with leadership to translate strategic goals into compelling fundraising initiatives. The DDC is also responsible for developing and executing a robust communications plan aligned with strategic and fundraising goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee all elements of Care for Real’s development operation, including annual giving, leadership giving, donor relations and stewardship, corporate and foundation fundraising, donor events, and prospect management
- Develop and implement the organization’s development plan, which this year includes fundraising activity linked to the 50th anniversary celebration, working closing with the ED and Board Fundraising Committee
- Establish and implement systems rooted in industry standards and best practices to support the organization’s fundraising efforts, including policies and procedures regarding donor cultivation and relations, gift reporting, and gift records
- Develop and implement high-touch cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies for a group of 200 leadership donors
- Manage the direction of several annual giving circles and evaluate for effectiveness, shifting strategy as needed
- Work with the Board Fundraising Committee and ED to identify potential grants; prepare drafts and submit grant proposals and follow-up reports
- Imagine, design and execute special events that embrace and promote the mission of Care for Real and welcome new donors
- Represent Care for Real at events focused on building current and potential relationships with donors
- Ensure timely, quality recognition of all sponsors, donors, and participants for each event
- Oversee the management of the DonorSnap database, ensuring the accuracy of data, the creation of on-going and special reports, and the quality of information required by the bookkeeper and the finance committee
- Maintain and analyze the fundraising dashboard data to present results and strategies to the Board each month
- Develop, execute, and continually improve, in collaboration with the ED, a donor and community communications plan that advances the mission and strategic plan of Care for Real
- Create and implement a calendar of donor communications and related programs that engage current donors and encourage new donor commitments
- Ensure donor acknowledgment is both timely and meaningful
- Identify opportunities to share organizational news with both donors and the broader community, such as press releases and newsletters
- Enhance Care for Real’s social media presence and web site, with a focus on growing the fundraising base
- Directly manage the Development Associate, including assigning work, reviewing performance, and recommending advancement and recognition
- Actively participate in senior management meetings to share organizational ideas and solicit team ideas for communications and fundraising
- Be available to support the Care for Real mission as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, such as nonprofit business administration or communications
- A minimum of 5 years frontline fundraising experience, with proven results
- Supervisory experience highly preferred
- Commitment to mission, philosophy, and values of Care for Real and the ability to articulate the mission with passion and persuasion
- Commitment to disciplined development strategies that place mission above money, while still exceeding development goals
- An organized, focused, detail-oriented, and goal-oriented personality coupled with a high level of initiative, energy, and ability to work independently. Must also be a strong team player
- Proficiency in Windows applications, Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and willingness to learn new applications as necessary to work as efficiently as possible
- Demonstrable track record in writing persuasive grant proposals, with proven results
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement creative fundraising techniques
- Proficiency with DonorSnap or similar CRM databases
- Experience with social media communications and general public relations
- Be a goal-driven “self-starter” with experience initiating donor visits and fundraising calls
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability
Care for Real’s Work Environment:
The Director of Development and Communication will primarily work in a professional office environment that is accessible. This person will use standard office equipment such as computers, phones and copiers. The Director of Development and Communication will regularly be required to speak and listen and will often move throughout the office to interact with staff, volunteers and clients and perform other duties. In the course of regular duties, the Director of Development may be required to lift and/or move objects weighting 25 pounds. This position requires occasional weekend and evening work.
Please send your resume, cover letter, writing sample, and salary expectations to email@example.com with the position title as the subject. NO TELEPHONE CALLS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Care for Real is a proud equal opportunity employer. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. We value a diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.