DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
Care for Real provides food, clothing, and referral services to neighbors in the Edgewater, Uptown and Rogers Park communities. Through on-site food distribution, a free clothes closet, a pet pantry and special distributions, more than 1,060 neighbors are served each week. During our last fiscal year, we distributed more than 1.51 million pounds of food. To learn more about who we are and how we serve please, see our website: https://careforreal.org
The Director of Development is responsible for the creation, implementation, evaluation and successful on-going management of the 3-year and annual Care for Real fundraising strategy. This position works closely with the ED, the senior management team and the Board Fundraising Committee to lead and manage a strategy for identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of existing as well as prospective individual foundation and corporate donors. The Director of Development is also responsible for the creation, implementation and evaluation of an active communication plan and Care for Real.
Essential duties and responsibilities include:
- Working closely with the Executive Director and Board Fundraising Committee to develop the organization’s 3-year development plan and annual giving campaigns
- Establishes and maintains best practices in fundraising
- Research, identify and vet potential corporate and foundation partners
- Determine the best methods for creating and building relationships with individual donors, corporate and foundation partners and local community donors
- Working with the Board Fundraising Committee to identify potential grants; working with the ED and appropriate fundraising members to draft and submit grant proposals and follow-up reports
- Imagine, design and execute special events that embrace and promote the mission of Care for Real and welcome new donors
- Represent Care for Real at events focused on building current and potential relationships with donors
- Ensure timely, quality recognition of all sponsors, donors, and participants for each event
- Create regular communication and programs to acknowledge donors and build new donor commitments
- Oversee the management of the DonorSnap database ensuring the accuracy of data, the creation of on-going and special reports, and the quality of information required by the bookkeeper and the finance committee
- Working with the ED and Board members, develop, execute, and continually improve a Care for Real communications plan
- Create and build Care for Real’s social media communication with a focus on expanding fundraising
- Provide ideas and assistance for updating the Care for Real web site
- Analyze fundraising dashboard data to present results and strategies to the Board each month
- Bachelor’s Degree in Not-for-Profit Business Administration preferred, or similar education background
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills
- Knowledge and experience in creative fund raising techniques
- A minimum of 5 years fundraising leadership experience with proven results
- Knowledge of Office Software including Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Familiarity and experience writing grant proposals with proven results
- Familiarity with Donor Snap or similar database
- Familiarity with social media communications and general PR
- Be a “self-starter” and goal-driven to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls
- Excellent time management and highly organized, detail-oriented with ability to multitask and meet deadlines
- Experience working with a wide and diverse range of people
- Commitment to the mission of Care for Real
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability
Care for Real’s Work Environment:
The Director of Development will primarily work in a professional office environment that is accessible. This person will use standard office equipment such as computers, phones and copiers.The Director of Development will regularly be required to speak and listen and will often move throughout the office to interact with staff, volunteers and clients and perform other duties.
In the course of regular duties, the Director of Development may be required to lift and/or move objects weighing 25 pounds. This position requires occasional weekend and evening work.
Care for Real is a smoke, drug and gun-free environment. We are proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment decisions are made in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to race, ethnicity, creed, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, citizenship status, military service, marital status, orders of protection, handicap, disability or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state, or local statutes.
- Submit cover letter, resume, and salary range requirement to: email@example.com. Please write Director of Development in the subject line of your e-mail. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. No phone calls.